umbDebugShowTrace when running Umbraco in MVC mode

With our old Umbraco 4.x installations, with their webform master page templates, the standard way of debugging reluctant Razor macros was to suffix the Url with umbDebugShowTrace=yes.

I've just started working on a new Umbraco 7.4 project, where I've opted to use MVC (my first proper MVC site - I may be slightly behind the curve!). The first time I needed to debug an error in a View, I tried http://localhost/?umbDebugShowTrace=yes and ... nothing happened.

Although I'm sure that by building the project in Visual Studio (which I did) there are ways to debug properly. However, sometimes it's still useful to use these tried and tested familiar methods - especially if you need to discover why a page that works fine on your development machine, for some reason doesn't work on the live server. Thankfully there is a work-around:
  1. In web.config, modify the <trace> element so enabled is set to "true".
  2. After viewing the page with the error, use http://localhost/trace.axd to view a list of the last 10 Urls that were accessed
  3. Clicking on "View details" link next to a Url, will reveal the full trace.
If you're debugging on the live server, don't forget to revert <trace> back to enabled="false" after you've finished.

Comments